A spinal cord injury can change a person’s life forever. The spinal cord carries electrical impulses to and from your brain and nervous system. If the cord sustains an injury, its effects can be life altering and permanent. If you or a loved one was in an accident that resulted in a spinal cord injury (SCI), contact a Folsom back injury attorney today.
What Are the Lasting Effects of an SCI?
Spinal cord injuries can happen anywhere on the spine. Doctors and other medical professionals refer to spinal injuries in a few ways:
- Position – The lowest point where the spine continues to function normally is the neurological level of injury.
- Severity – The damage sustained by the spinal cord can affect it partially or completely. Partial damage means some nerve signals are still going past the point of injury. Complete damage means nothing is traveling beyond the injury.
- Level of paralysis – Some spinal injuries cause paralysis. Paraplegia paralysis affects the legs, lower trunk, and pelvic organs. Tetraplegia, also known as quadriplegia, affects the arms, hands, legs, trunk, and pelvic organs.
What Are the Long Lasting Effects of a Spinal Cord Injury?
The exact effects of an SCI can vary from one patient to another due to the location of the injury and how severe it is. Here is a partial list of the effects an SCI can leave behind, as seen by a Folsom personal injury lawyer.
- Loss of movement
- Inability or difficulty to feel someone touching them or whether a surface is hot or cold
- Loss of bodily waste control
- Changes in ability to function sexually and to procreate
- Difficulty breathing
If you have been in a vehicle crash and sustained injuries from it, you should speak with Folsom car accident lawyers immediately. A skilled personal injury attorney in Folsom can advise you on how to move forward and help you receive compensation for the damages caused by the accident.